Mile High City Action
Denver’s B-cycle bike-sharing program is a great way to explore the city. Bike stands are conveniently located near all the top attractions, including the stylish Denver Art Museum (DAM) with 70,000 pieces in nine permanent collections and international touring exhibits. A museum dedicated solely to the works of abstract expressionist, Clyfford Still sits nearby. Before leaving the area, stop by The Cell – a museum devoted to the study of terrorism and the History Colorado Center, featuring high-tech, hands-on explorations of 10,000 years of Colorado’s people.
Further uptown, via the South Platte River bike trail, the Museum of Contemporary Art showcases the latest work from regional, national and international artists. To encourage discussion and exploration of art and ideas the MCA sponsors “Museum Quality Drinking: Curated Art and Cocktails” nights on the chic rooftop patio café.
When it’s time to relax, take the free 16th street shuttle back to Larimer Square to sample nouveau Mexican creations at Tamayo or comfort gastro pub fare on the city’s best roof top patio at Ignite. For up to the minute cocktail creations, stop by Green Russell for a nightcap. High end shopping and dining entice visitors to the tony Cherry Creek Area on the bike trail of the same name. Skiers are a little over an hour from Loveland, a local favourite on the eastern side of the Continental Divide.
For one last look at Colorado’s mountains, check out the roof of the Denver International Airport where glowing man-made peaks of Teflon-coated fabric silhouetted against the Rockies represent Colorado’s 54 “fourteeners” – mountains that top out at 14,000 feet.
- Denver Tourism: www.denver.org
- Denver Art Museum: www.denverartmuseum.org 720-865-5000,
- Clyfford Still Museum: www.clyffordstillmuseum.org 720-354-4874
- History Colorado Center: historycolorado.org 303-447-8679
- Warwick Hotel: www.warwickdenver.com 303-861-2000,
- Tamayo: www.richardsandoval.com/tamayo 720- 946-1433
- Ignite! Fire Crafted: www.ignite-denver.com 303-296-2600
- Green Russell: greenrussell.com 303-893-6505