Norfolk County, “Ontario’s South Coast” sits on Lake Erie two hours southwest of Toronto and includes summer vacation destination Port Dover – famous for its palm trees, shallow water sandy beaches and motorcycle conventions. Turkey Point and Long Point Provincial Parks can be found here too.
The big attraction is the lake itself. Warm waters, waves, miles of sand and continual breezes delight swimmers of all ages and abilities. Shallow waters, complements of the sandbars, make these Lake Erie destinations a good, safe choice for families with young children.
Away from the water, visitors will find country roads traversing a wide variety of crops: Ginseng, tobacco, asparagus, strawberries, corn and wheat fields make for an interesting drive throughout the area with plenty of opportunities to buy local.
Farmers’ markets (Thursdays at Simcoe Fairgrounds and Saturdays in Port Dover) also sell always in season local honey, peanuts, popping corn, beef and cheese.
The annual Le Tour De Norfolk recreational bike rally happens on the third weekend in July with rides from 15-160 k suitable for all on mostly flat, quiet roads.
Top things to do in Norfolk County, Ontario:
- Play twilight golf for $10.00 at Turkey Point Provincial Park
- Catch a play by award-winning playwrights at The Lighthouse Festival Theatre in Port Dover
- Hike the sand dunes at Long Point Provincial Park
- Take part in the annual “Le Tour de Norfolk”recreational bike rally
- Play “name those crops” as you drive the country roads
- Buy fresh sweet local produce at bargain prices
- Sunset dining on the Port Dover beach overlooking the palm trees
- Night swimming at Port Dover
For more activities in Norfolk County contact norfolktourism.ca at 1-800-699-9038.
Dates for the 7th Annual Le Tour de Norfolk: July 20, 2013 to July 21, 2013